Friday, January 4, 2013

Nunnymolers

"What is a nunnymoler?", you may be asking yourself. Basically it is a thumbprint cookie, but a million times harder. According to the book, they were supposed to be called Honey Moles, but in molespeak are known as Nunnymolers. Those silly moles. 

The dough is just flour, a bit of confectioner's sugar, and 2 whole sticks of butter. So it's a lot like shortbread. 


After flattening dough into circles, you spread honey on top. Something weird happened to my honey. It froze or crystallized, maybe. Don't worry, I didn't use it! I borrowed Natalie's honey. 


Then you put one strawberry and one raspberry in the middle of each and fold it up. 


So pretty!


THEN you put a dollop of jam on top of each one. I used my mom's homemade blackberry jam :)


The recipe made exactly 12. 


They are then baked in the oven for 20 minutes. We ate them right when they came out and I burnt my tongue. Worth it. 


I didn't take any pictures after they were cooked, but they looked cute. The honey kind of oozed out of a few - next time I think I would put them on parchment paper. 

They were a lot of work, but they came out well. I think if I worked at it I could get them to look prettier too. 

One thing I don't understand is how the seasons work in this book. This recipe was in the winter section. Who has strawberries and raspberries in the winter? Maybe the moles have a greenhouse. 

1 comment:

  1. Crystallized honey is fine; you can use it as is or liquefy it by heating it. Many people think that honey that has never been heated (and is thus pretty much solid) is better for you.

    ReplyDelete